How technology assists pharmacists in providing better patient care
Healthcare Technology, Mobile Applications, Pharmacy Management System, Pharmacy Technology
Pharmacists play an important role in assisting patients with medication management and adherence to medication regimens. However, with the increasing complexity of medication regimens and the growing number of patients suffering from chronic diseases, pharmacists must employ novel approaches to support patient adherence. Technology can assist pharmacists in providing better patient care and improving patient outcomes.
- Mobile apps: Pharmacists can recommend to patients mobile apps to help them manage their medications. These apps can provide patients with medication reminders, educational resources and information about their medications, as well as the ability to track medication use and receive feedback on adherence. Some apps even allow patients to communicate with their healthcare providers and receive support and resources to assist them with medication management.
- Electronic prescriptions: By lowering the risk of medication errors and making it easier for patients to manage their medications, electronic prescriptions can help improve patient adherence. Electronic prescriptions can be sent directly to the pharmacy, eliminating the possibility of mistakes that can occur with paper prescriptions.
- Smart pill bottles: Smart pill bottles are a technological solution that can assist patients with medication management. These bottles are equipped with sensors that can detect when a patient takes their medications and send reminders to the patient’s phone. Smart pill bottles can also provide data on patient adherence to pharmacists, allowing them to monitor patient progress and provide targeted support.
- Telemedicine: Telemedicine can assist pharmacists in providing support to patients who are unable to visit the pharmacy. Pharmacists can use telemedicine to provide medication management services and to answer patients’ medication-related questions. Telemedicine can also assist pharmacists in monitoring patient progress and providing support to patients who are having difficulty adhering to their medication regimens.
- Electronic medical records: By allowing pharmacists to access patients’ complete medical histories, electronic medical records (EMRs) can help pharmacists provide better support to patients. Pharmacists can use EMRs to see what medications patients are taking, how much they are taking, and if there are any potential drug interactions. This information can assist pharmacists in providing more targeted patient support and improving patient outcomes.
Technology can play an important role in assisting pharmacists in supporting patient medication adherence. Pharmacists can provide better support to patients and improve patient outcomes by utilising innovative solutions such as mobile apps, electronic prescriptions, smart pill bottles, telemedicine, and electronic medical records. As the use of technology in healthcare grows, pharmacists will need to embrace these new tools in order to provide the best care to their patients.